Friday, March 16, 2018

Forward Pass or Roy Moore of the Same


Critics of the accusers of His Honor Roy Moore are correct to resist the trial by newspaper, television and Internet of the Republican nominee for special election to replace Attorney General Jeff Sessions as one of the Alabama United States Senators. If every man, woman and child in the state and the other forty nine accused Roy of pedophilia he is still innocent until proven guilty. 

The age of consent is as young as fourteen in some states and as old as eighteen in others. Those are four big years. In Alabama first degree statutory rape is when someone sixteen or older has intercourse with someone under the age of twelve.

I’ve read the entire Bible including the Gospels and don’t recall Joseph and Mary discussing their sex lives. If Joseph and Mary didn’t have intercourse they were not married according to Jewish Law and by the standards of most religions and governments. My Roman Catholic upbringing taught us that The Holy Ghost later renamed The Holy Spirit knocked Mary up. Whether carpenter Joe ever put the wood to her after that is not covered. 

I am no fan of Mitch (the bitch) McConnell but reporters really have no business asking him if he believes women he doesn’t know talking about a man he doesn’t know. You might as well ask me if Roy is guilty. And I don’t know. 

I’m not suggesting for a moment that this country (and I would imagine most countries) doesn’t have an ongoing culture that tolerates extensive sexual bullying in almost every manner of social and economic interaction. Even I was harassed a few times by men and women when I was younger. As much as some feminists portray the entertainment business as male dominated the first and second lines of gatekeepers are casting directors who are almost always female. It isn’t testosterone that corrupts. It’s power.  

Though I found it depressing and frustrating I was never lured or groped anywhere and never feared for my safety. And I only experienced it a couple of times in as many decades.  

Satire1 celebrates the courage and solidarity women are showing in voicing their experiences but fears comedians, pundits and the folks on the street we hear assuming the guilt of individuals before their trials. The floodgates are open and it is long overdue but rushing to judgment is not justice and the citizens of Alabama are free to elect who they please.

Don Arrup
Satire1

No comments: